Jobs at Lab Zero
Senior Data Engineer
Lab Zero, a boutique product development and design consultancy in San Francisco, is looking for a Senior Data Engineer to work directly with our high-profile Bay Area clients. From new skills to new products, clients come to Lab Zero to turn their vision for change into reality. You’ll join a team of experts who are granted the autonomy to make high-impact decisions with a variety of clients, including industry leaders.
This is both a strategic and execution role in which clients will benefit from your hands-on expertise managing the full product development lifecycle. Personal flexibility in work and life is something we protect and we invest in our team members to continue growing and learning.
- Design and implement large scale data systems and pipelines
- Prepare data for analysis and prediction
- Develop and deploy analytical tools and models
- Provide data engineering leadership to the Lab Zero team as well as other engineers on our clients’ teams
- Collaborate on subsequent Lab Zero projects and teams as we finish projects
- Baseline new engagements by building upon lessons learned from prior projects
- Tackle complex, Hands-on technical challenges and perform research when dealing with unknowns
- Work with the DevOps team to automate the setup of the jobs in Jenkins (or other CI/CD products) as a self-service to developers and also uplift skills around creating a CI/CD ecosystem
- Perform deep investigations to isolate and solve complex issues for online services
- Provide recommendations for de-risking the design and implementation approach with your team
- Deliver work in 2 week sprints
- Demo work to team members and stakeholders
- Write unit and functional tests to support a healthy CI/CD pipeline
About Lab Zero
Lab Zero designs and develops custom software and products that move your business forward. We’re an experienced team of engineers, designers, product managers, and leadership coaches. Founded in 2008, we design and build products for clients ranging from early-stage startups to Fortune 10 powerhouses. Companies choose to work with us because of our collaborative culture, our mastery of modern tools and tactics, and our focus on understanding and serving real user needs.
About the Technical Environment
Here is some information about the Technical Environment you will work with.
- Openstack, AWS and GCP clouds
- Jenkins and CircleCI
- Jira, PivotalTracker, Trello
- Github on/off premise
- +10k to Millions of active users
- Serving a customer base of Fortune 100 companies
Why We Need You Now
Lab Zero’s Engineering practice is growing! Our primary engagement with a client is a full cross-functional team, including product, design, and engineering. We have new development opportunities all over the Bay Area which will benefit from an experienced Senior Data Engineer.
- 5+ years experience with Python
- 2+ years working with PySpark and Pandas
- 2+ years working with Palantir/Snowflake/Trifacta or equivalent tools
- 3+ years experience with relational databases (Oracle, SQL Server, Postgres, RedShift)
- Worked on at least two projects/products involving big data
- Designed and implemented at least two automated ETL pipelines
- 2+ years of experience with automated testing (unit, integration, functional, regression)
- Source control management proficiency (Git) and familiarity with branching models (eg. Gitflow)
The Ideal Candidate
You've done development work for mature organizations and brought sanity to the process with less mature organizations. You can work well with a team. You can manage multiple priorities.
We would love to see extra skills and experience in these areas:
- BS/BA Degree in Data Science, Computer Science or Engineering
- 5+ years automating data analysis pipelines
- 3+ years working in Lean / Agile development processes (TDD/ATDD, Pairing, Sprints, CI/CD)
- Demonstrated experience in the full software development lifecycle including functional and technical specifications, implementation, QA, deployment, and maintenance
- Familiarity with PowerBI/Tableau
- Familiarity Data Governance tooling (eg. Collibra) and methodologies
- Experience with AWS Glue
- Experience with developing and deploying in distributed containerized environments (Kubernetes, AWS Lambda/ECS, Spark, Slurm, etc)
- Experience with NoSQL databases and unstructured datasets
- Experience with preparing data for Machine Learning/AI
Send your info and express your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Come in and let's chat.