Jobs at Lab Zero
Senior DevOps Engineer (telecommuting ok)
Telecommuters welcome to apply.
You can be located anywhere in the continental U.S.
- 10 - 20% travel to the San Francisco Bay area each month (3 to 6 days).
- 40 hour work week.
- No overtime.
- No pager duty.
Lab Zero, a boutique product development and design consultancy in San Francisco, is looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to work directly with our high-profile Bay Area clients.
From new skills to new products, clients come to Lab Zero to turn their vision for change into reality.
You’ll join a team of experts who are granted the autonomy to make high-impact decisions with a variety of clients, including industry leaders.
This is both a strategic and execution role in which clients will benefit from your hands-on expertise managing the full product development lifecycle. Personal flexibility in work and life is something we protect and we invest in our team members to continue growing and learning.
Why We Need You Now
Lab Zero’s DevOps practice is growing! Our primary engagement with a client is a full cross-functional team, including product, design, and engineering.
We have new DevOps opportunities in Cupertino, San Bruno and San Francisco which will benefit from an experienced DevOps Engineer.
- Implement zero-downtime deployments for high-availability and high-traffic systems
- Orchestrate systems using Kubernetes
- Migrate systems from private infrastructure to the Azure, Google or Amazon clouds
- Support the exploration and implementation of performance improvements for the systems we run
- Provide DevOps leadership to the Lab Zero team as well as other engineers on our clients’ teams
- Support the DevOps needs of Agile development teams
- Collaborate on subsequent Lab Zero projects and teams as we finish projects
- Baseline new engagements by building upon lessons learned from prior projects
- Use version control (Git) for versioning scripts, templates and automation
- Tackle complex, Hands-on technical challenges and perform research when dealing with unknowns
- Define & build a version control(git) repository strategy + structure including naming conventions, versioning, ordering, privileges, and standards for our customers
- Enable application teams with a CI process for new application repositories, hand-hold through any special needs, and solve for impediments or blockers
- Train the DevOps team(s) to automate the setup of the jobs in Jenkins (or other CI/CD product) as a self-service to developers and also uplift skills around creating a CI/CD ecosystem
- Guide DevOps teams to set ongoing standards around versioning, naming conventions, 3rd Party Libraries, Schedulers, Build Job standards, Deployment job standards, notifications/alerts & dashboards that show real time metrics
- Validate tools, processes, and environments for the engagement while providing feedback to the architects, principal consultants, and product ownership
- Work closely with software engineering and DevOps teams to define and implement service monitoring solutions that proactively enhance and automate issue identification and resolution
- Perform deep investigations to isolate and solve complex performance and reliability issues for online services
- Manage availability, capacity, and security to provide the best ROI with given workloads and environmental requirements against the given resources
About the Technical Environment
Here is some information about the Technical Environment you will manage:
- Azure cloud, Kubernetes
- 300+ million visits per month
- Serving a Fortune 100 customer base
- Billions of dollars of revenue per year
About Lab Zero
Lab Zero designs and develops custom software and products that move your business forward. We’re an experienced team of developers, designers, product managers, and leadership coaches. Founded in 2008, we design and build products for clients ranging from early-stage startups to Fortune 10 powerhouses.
Companies choose to work with us because of our collaborative culture, our mastery of modern tools and tactics, and our focus on understanding and serving real user needs.
- 5 years experience proactively solving problems in a SysAdmin or DevOps role
- 2 years hands-on production experience in a high traffic (millions of visitors per day) environment
- 3 years experience orchestrating containers with Kubernetes
- 5 years experience working with Azure, GCP, or AWS
- 3 years experience implementing and administering Docker
- 3 years experience implementing and supporting zero-downtime deployments
- 5 years experience creating observable environments using industry standard monitoring and graphing tools
- 3 years experience creating systems managed by Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Salt