Jobs at Lab Zero
Senior Product Designer
Lab Zero, a product design and development agency in San Francisco, is looking for a Senior Product Designer to work directly with our high-profile Bay Area clients. From new skills to new products, clients come to Lab Zero to turn their vision for change into reality. You’ll join a team of experts granted the autonomy to make high-impact decisions with a variety of clients, including industry leaders.
In this role clients will benefit from your hands-on expertise designing products through the full product development lifecycle — understanding needs and goals of customers and stakeholders, designing thoughtful solutions, testing ideas, iterating, and delivering real-world value. Personal flexibility in work and life is something we protect. We invest in our team members to continue growing and learning.
Our primary type of client engagement is with a full cross-functional team, including product, design, and engineering. You’ll collaborate closely with project team members and clients to conceive and develop solutions for an exciting variety of projects.
Why We Need You Now
Lab Zero’s Design team is growing! We have new product design opportunities in San Francisco which will benefit from an experienced product designer. Here’s a sample of some our recent projects:
- Designing a suite of apps for a startup using advanced tech to help real estate owners, operators and tenants.
- Researching and synthesizing customer needs for a company developing tools to mitigate risk and manage a large physical infrastructure.
- Designing the brand identity, product and marketing collateral for a startup streamlining how corporations manage payouts.
- Researching and designing recommendations for a non-profit helping policy-makers and education leaders pilot programs to improve foster student outcomes.
- Research, interview and observe customers to understand their lived experience, problems and goals.
- Create user journey maps and storyboards to help product teams align on key customer needs and make sense of complex service design challenges.
- Craft design principles and information architecture models to focus design exploration and product strategy.
- Explore design solutions, from low-fidelity concept wireframes and user experience flows, to high-fidelity, detailed interactions of key moments.
- Prototype click-through experiences to communicate ideas to stakeholders and developers, and test ideas with customers.
- Lead design reviews, critiques and user testing to measure, learn and improve solutions.
- Refine designs using knowledge of layout principles, typography, accessibility, usability and brand systems.
- Collaborate with a product owner, other designers and development team to iteratively plan, design and deliver product using agile and lean best practices.
- Use and develop DesignOps practices to improve process efficiency and support continuous delivery of new product features.
- Lead by example to help our clients adopt better design thinking practices and increase focus on customer outcomes.
- Contribute to continuously improving our design team’s capabilities and practices.
- 3 or more years experience designing products through the complete product design and development lifecycle.
- Experience designing at least two major software products or key product features from scratch.
- Experience working at either a startup, tech firm or an agency.
- Deep understanding of modern software design practices (eg web vs mobile, design thinking, service design, lean and agile processes etc).
- Deep understanding of interaction design patterns and visual communication techniques (layout, navigation, typography, iconography, shape, color etc).
- Experience leading discovery research and usability tests with customers in the field.
About Lab Zero
Lab Zero designs and develops custom software and products that move your business forward. We’re an experienced team of developers, designers, product managers, and leadership coaches. Founded in 2008, we design and build products for clients ranging from early-stage startups to Fortune 10 powerhouses.
Companies choose to work with us because of our collaborative culture, our mastery of modern tools and tactics, and our focus on understanding and serving real user needs.